Black Truffle Chicken Pasta
Creamy, dreamy and completely decadent. You’ll think you’re at a restaurant with this easy black truffle chicken pasta. Made with cream and caramelized cremini mushrooms, this pasta is the perfect indulgence, and we all need to indulge sometimes.
It may sound a little lavish, but you can find jarred truffles at specialty grocery stores or Italian markets. I happened to pick some up while I was traveling a few months ago in Istria, the northern part of Croatia. While traveling I love to try the local foods and, even more so, wander through local markets and grocery stores. Known for their truffles, I found a lovely little store selling a wide variety of truffles and truffle products from local foragers. I obviously needed some!
I’m sad to admit that I came home, added them to the pantry and happened to forget about them. It was a very welcomed surprise to find them yesterday while I was cleaning out my cabinet and I knew that I needed to use them immediately. Insert: truffle pasta.
My husband loves having meat in his pasta, so I picked up a few chicken breasts. These were delicious, but could easily be eliminated for a vegetarian meal (a perfect and filling treat for a meatless Monday, just saying). Given that truffles have a very unique taste, which I personally love, but can be a lot, I knew I wanted a creamy, rich sauce to infuse their flavor into but not become overpowering. The addition of the caramelized mushrooms was to add some more veggies to the dish, while bringing in a different sense of earthy flavors and umami. It was delicious right away and I knew I had to share it immediately.
Perfect in gloomy winter weather, treat some friends or create a fun date night at home with this creamy, rich truffle pasta! Can’t wait to hear what you think!
Other recipes you will love
Black Truffle Chicken Pasta
- 2 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 2 chicken breasts cut into bite size pieces
- 250 grams crimini mushrooms sliced
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 oz jarred sliced black truffles in oil plus a few for garnish
- ¼ cup grated parmesan
- 2 servings gluten free Tagliatelle or pasta of your choice
- Cook your pasta according to the instructions, reserving 1/4-/13 cup of pasta water.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium to high heat. Add bite sized pieces of chicken breast and season with salt and pepper. Cook for around 10 minutes, flipping around occasionally until golden brown. Once done, reserve in a bowl on the side.
- In the same skillet, heat the second tablespoon of olive oil and add the sliced mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper. Cook over medium to high heat until they cook down to about half their size and turn golden brown. Tip: try to leave them undisturbed and only toss occasionally to get a beautiful golden caramelization.
- Once golden, reduce the heat and add in the heavy cream and black truffle. Bring to a simmer, then reduce the heat. You want to see small bubbles. Reduce for about 8-10 minutes or until you are left with about 1/3. The sauce should be thick, creamy and easily coat the back of a spoon.
- Reduce the heat to low and stir in the grated parmesan. Toss back in the reserved chicken. Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed. (I only added more pepper).
- Add in your pasta and 1/4 cup of reserved pasta water. Using tongs, toss together over low-medium heat until creamy. If you need more water, add it slowly and continue tossing until it all comes together.
- Plate and top with freshly cracked pepper and some extra truffle slices. Drizzle a little truffle oil from the jars over the pasta and enjoy!